Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Prep Work

So its 3 days before I ship out, and I'm still not ready, physically or mentally. About a week ago, my employers asked me to change my flight so that I could be in Hong Kong for two more days for a photo shoot as soon as I get there. I won't even have time to recover from the jetlag, but thats that what I signed on for. I spent last weekend in New York seeing some old friends for the last time. My friend Kim is studying Lit at NYU's grad school, and works at The Strand, so she picked up a Thomas Demand book, from his MoMa exhibit, for me that I've since been absorbing. I've also started reading Vonnegut's unpublished work, Armageddon In Retrospect, which is pretty good, but there is a reason some of the stories are unpublished ha. Anyways, after a couple nights of partying in the village, I had breakfast with my cousin Justin and his Chinese Wife and Mother in Law, Nina and Gaby. We had a Northern Chinese Breakfast at this place off of Canal Street, which consisted of warm soy milk with a pastry for dipping, and this rice ball stuffed with dried meats and things (not sure what the name is). Gaby gave me some great advice on things to do outside of Shanghai while I'm there, and bought some lychee (sweet chinese fruit) to take home. So now I'm packing, making lists, and reading. Tommorow I'll go into Philly and hang out with my friends there one last time, then relax on Thurs for my flight on Friday...

No comments: