Sunday, August 17, 2008

Yo Gabe! this is for you

One of my professors, Gabe Martinez, teaches a course on the nude figure, and was a great help to me as I began exploring the nude and its infinite complexity as an incredibly loaded artistic subject.



photo courtesy chinadaily.com



http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-11/18/content_392782.htm

"The girl said: "As an adult, I know what I am doing and of course have the freedom to do this, if I like."
I like to work with amateurs, friends, non-professionals because I value sincerity in the relationship between the model and the photographer; and the one thing each of my friends has said about posing nude and later being displayed nude is that it is an extremely liberating experience.

"I think it's worth the money. I can leave my most beautiful time eternally on the negative and photos," a 20-year-old girl with a nearby university said, on condition of anonymity"
But it think the service is feeding off a very image concerned culture that values beauty almost religiously. The Egyptian society functioned under the Death Cult mentality, and the Chinese functions under the Aesthetic-Cult mentality. So as these girls attempt to capture themselves at their most beautiful stage using modern means, they are paying tribute to an ancient obsession with everlasting youth and aesthetics

1 comment:

PhotoUPenn said...

Thanks for thinking of Gabe!