Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Final Transmission

I am here at the last outpost of modern civilization; Shangrila. It took a two hour plane flight from Shanghai to Kunming, Yunnan. We almost missed that flight though because I was interrogated by security for my epipen (one guy almost stabbed himself with it!), and it also didn't help that I was carrying thermometers for the cheese farm. Of course the only non-mandarin-speaker would carry the one thing that looks like a bomb. But I was able to explain to them that my plane was about to leave, and all of a sudden they became my best friends. From there we enjoyed the 12 hour night bus to the Shang. The bus ride itself seeing as how the bus had beds instead of seats. I spent all night lying on my side watching mainland Chinese country side pass by. There were oil refineries with flames that lit up the valleys. Lightning storms whose white beams formed claws that ripped apart the sky. I dozed off, but every so often I would open my eyes, and be jerked awake by the sudden drop into an expanse of green and darkness; I am at the top of the world. Good thing I brought my diamox. So from here I take a jeep to the cheese farm, and I'll be in yak country for a couple days with zero communicative abilities, clean air, and perfect conditions to practice my Tai Chi. Talk to you soon...when I have my chi in order.

No comments: