Thursday, June 19, 2008

Shanghaied II


Alright, enough of Chongming, that was over a week ago, and I just needed to get those photos up. So yesterday I finished up a working on a cheese label design for Mei Xiang, one of the ventures I work for. After work I went out to dinner with Zhou Ma and Beverly, stopped at the bootleg DVD mart on the way home. The bootleg DVD business here is an actual industry. The packaging is very professional, and if you get DVD 9, the quality is quite good. You can usually return it if it isn't, and if the shop protests, whatever, you only lost 7 quay. Bringing copies of US films back into the US is a serious Federal offense, and though I am not a proponent of pirating creative works, something should also be said for not marking up a product for an exorbitant percentage more than what it costs to make. Consider my use of these shops in Shanghai a protest! ha, but really, this is nothing new or uncommon here. 
It was a relaxed night, although I was blown away by Danny Boyle's latest film, Sunshine. He loves stories where a group of people are lost in their own personal isolation, and start killing each other off, either by accident or intentionaly, one by one, until only the main character is left to "change the world".  Regardless, he has an incredible visual sense, and the music to match. Sunshine was like 2001: Space Odyssey meets Koyannisquasi meets 80's B Slasher Film.
I also started Herzog's Rescue Dawn, and after hearing him speak at school last year, you can totally read into his twisted, yet childish, German sense of humor. So a film that should be about a pretty horrifying situation, is actually pretty amusing. Oh and it has the physicist from Lost in it.
Not sure what I'm up to tonight, maybe get drinks with a friend, maybe get a massage. We'll see.
I guess I have to start putting up Shanghai photos. I realize the difficulty in reading my photo posts in the correct order, so I'll try putting them up backwards, so you just have to scroll down. I thought about using a separate host that i could use to link to a slideshow, but the internet is so slow here, this is the best way for me to get things up reasonably fast.  

No comments: